Kittieland

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

And then I knew I'd never be the same

I received a box of things from my mom's house. Things like a high school prom dress, three tin piano shaped music boxes and college term papers. The highlight is this (and one other) story written when I was 10, 11 or 12 yrs old, in cursif, on wide-lined paper. Ruth suggested I blog it, so I will cuz I do kind of like it. It reminds me of a Buffy episode a little bit.

A Day In Sumney
As I was walking through the town of Sumney, I noticed something very peculiar but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then from out of the blue, a man approached me. He was mumbling something about a marshmallow. I couldn't understand what he was saying because he had something in his mouth. So I just forgot about it and kept walking. Then a child walked up to me and asked me my name. He knew I was a stranger in town and he wanted to help me out any way he could. I asked his name. It was Tony. Then I asked if there was something different about this town. He told me to come and sit down. So we went into a restaurant and sat down in a booth away from any other people. He had a solemn look on his face and talked quietly. "We have a terrible crisis in Sumney," he told me. "We have a marshmallow surplus." Right then I knew what was so peculiar about the town. Everywhere you look, there's a marshmallow. Like right now, the table legs are made of marshmallow. I asked him, "Are you trying to get rid of them by using them for things like table legs?" Tony said yes. "Are you also trying to eat them all?" I asked him. Tony said yes. We got up, left the restaurant and said goodbye. As I was leaving the town, I felt sorry for Sumney. I thought about the man that mumbled something to me, and I knew I'd never be the same.

Happy Halloween!

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger becca said...

I love it! You should create more Tales from Sumney. It reminds me of James Tate, who is one of my favorite poets since he writes vignettes like these for poetry.

(Hmmm, how do you spell vignettes?)

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger janie said...

I think 'vignettes' is correct. But now that you mention it, it looks questionable. hee hee.

I'll look up James Tate. Ruth, the other RAH, is writing a 50,000 word novel this month for the big national novel writing thing on the internet. It's been fun to read her excerpts.

Maybe I can master vignettes. I'm gonna check out James Tate. Thanks Rebecca!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home