Kittieland

Monday, May 16, 2005

NYC 2005

Just returned home from a fast but fabulous trip to New York City. My second visit there.

Here's what I remember:

Glenn Gould
The Village Vanguard Theater
Tim Hawkinson
Alexander Calder
Wynton Marsalis
Duke Ellington
Grady Tate
The Pillowman
The West Village
The Bible Museum
Post Modernism
Killer puppies for sale in windows
Big dogs in small apartments
Plain Cheese Pizza
Indian Food (especially Dosas - yum!)
Public Transportation
Taxis

I landed at JFK at 8a.m. uncertain of how best to reach the city. At the information desk, I said to the woman there, "I'm not sure where I'm going exactly." She asked, "How you gonna get there if you don't know where you're going?" That's about the best question any has ever asked me. It's true that I've been asked that question before, but never with a Jamaican accent.

Once I reached the address that appeared to match the one my brother gave me, I called him to let him know I was there. "Hi Dave. I'm outside the apartment. At least I think I am." He replied, "I'll come down to let you in, if you're there. Otherwise, I'll call you." I don't know, it all seemed a little existential.

Every emergence from the subway tunnels was completely disorienting. It felt like I was arriving in a new place all day long for three days straight. The background music for this weekend was a big band orchestra playing mostly Duke Ellington.
I heart NYC.

1 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger becca said...

Wow...sounds spectacularly disorienting and incredible. I heart Post Moderism and Plain Cheese Pizza.

Any run ins with fake Louis Vuitton?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home